Hello, beautiful. Are your kids (and you) hooked on technology? TVs, phones, tablets, computers, video games…there seems to be an endless stream of technology distracting all of us from connecting with each other. My cherry blossoms each have their own iPads. Although I feel like I’m pretty strict with how much screen time I allow them to have (they would tell you I’m a mean mommy because I don’t let them use them often), there are times when I give in and let them spend too much time on them. I find myself spending much of my time on my computer and phone. My husband spends most of his time glaring at his phone. I notice a definite change in mood when any of us spends too much time on tech.
Spending so much time on our devices has made us a bit disconnected in our relationships and that’s why I make it a point to unplug and connect with my kids every day. It doesn’t take much to share real face time with your kids. From joining in on my girls pretend play to spending a day at Disney, it’s the time spent together that counts. Here are some tips and ideas to reconnect with your kids:
- Family game night
- Ask your kids what their favorite part of the day was. Ask questions and engage. Their answers might surprise you.
- Join your kids in playing with their favorite toy.
- Bake their favorite treats together
- Go for a bike ride or a walk.
- Check out a new playground. Instead of sitting on the bench checking your Facebook feed, join your kiddos on the swings or show them your monkey bar skills- they’ll think you’re the coolest parents!
- Read a book together.
- Arts and crafts– create something together!
- Dance. Dance. Dance.
- Family karaoke.
What are your favorite ways to spend technology-free time with your kids? Please share- I’d love to know.
Special thanks to Allana Wesley White Photography for the lovely photos.
I get a commission for clicks made through links in this post.